Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy birthday Pai

It was 3:55 pm (11:55 pm in Portugal) and my mom signed in her Skype account.  I asked her to wait a few more minutes till Miguel arrived at Pedro's home in Westwood, LA.  As soon as he got here, we lightened up a candle, put on some hats and stuff like that so that it seemed that we had a costume on, and we called my mom and dad.

We sang happy birthday, we made some noise and we tried to chat for a little bit, but I guess that everyone got very emotional, specially me.  I actually cried.  It was the first (or maybe the second) time I felt really homesick.  It doesn't feel right to spend one of our (Mom's, Dad's, Miguel's or mine) birthdays apart from each other.  And the fact that Miguel is here with me, having an amazing weekend in LA, makes me feel even worse about not being at home with my lovely parents.  There's nothing we can do about it.  What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?  All I can do now is to write a post showing the world how much I love my dad and wishing him all the best.

Basically my dad is my idol: the best husband a woman can dream of, a caring father, an extremely successful business man that is also a full engineering professor, a good friend, and my personal advisor.  He's so smart, so honest, so respectful, so proper and so optimistic that we have to accept that he is sometimes too tough and straightforward.  Along with my mom, he's the person I look up to.  Yeah, I had to mention my mom too.  If she wasn't so organized, so sweet, so supportive, so successful in her career and such a good housewife and present mom, my dad wouldn't have the chance to be as awesome as he is...  

Happy birthday Pai.

I love you and our family,
Martinha




2 comments:

  1. Dearest Martinha,
    No father could aspire to have a better, sweeter, cleverer or tenderer daughter than me.
    After the early years with my parents, sisters and brother, you, Miguel and Mom - our family - are the reason I always found to progress in life and to seek for an always better future. Our children are our purpose. We project ourselves in our children. We find in you the most compelling reasons for success, for sacrifice, for love, for happiness and also for a future to our (expanding) family.
    I feel very grateful from what life has brought us, even if sometimes things get tougher. But moments like the ones given by my Skype Happy Birthday song of a few hours ago and by the reading of the tender words of your today's blog, are unforgivable and mark one's life.
    Thank you, my lovely and dear daughter, for such beautiful and emotional words and feelings.
    Love
    Pai

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete