Saturday, September 1, 2012

Livin' college life

In less than 24 hours, I made two checks on my American to-do list!  Oh yeah!  Are you curious about that?

I went to a frat party on Friday night.  As you may probably know, or as you may have probably seen in many American movies, a fraternity party is crazy rave hosted at a huge house, in which a group of male college students live.  The one I went to was not as crazy as movies show, but it still had lots of young people drinking a lot, folks playing beer pong, loud music and girls dancing the American way (if you know what I mean).  I went with a bunch of international people I met here.  We had lots of fun.

Saturday, I mean today, was the first (American) football game of the season, which is a big, big deal here in the USA.  Not only was it the first game of the season, but is was also the reopening of Memorial Stadium - Cal's American Football stadium, located inside campus.  I'm not sure if I can explain how it was.  I don't know if I've ever seen so many people living the same spirit together before.  Can you imagine everyone proudly dressing blue and yellow clothes with either Cal or Berkeley written on them?  Can you imagine fraternity/sorority parties, loud music and the smelling of barbecues all over campus?  Can you imagine fans in a age range from 1 to 80 years old?  All that because of a college football game, not because the national team was playing.  Oh yeah, this is America...

I hope the following pictures are a good sample of the American experience I lived today.













2 comments:

  1. Hard work, but great fun too, Martinha!
    That's probably why many people say that college life is/was the best time of their lives.
    Mine was truly great, but I think that all times are good, provided one lives them in a positive way; even in front of difficult times!
    Love.
    Pai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pai for commenting on all my posts with such wise words.
    I love you and miss you a lot,
    Martinha

    ReplyDelete