Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

Did I mention on the last post (Bipolar Sunday) that the following post would be about my new house and my new host family?  I lied!  This post is actually going to be about the nice busy three-day weekend that is about to finish.

There were some special things about this weekend.  First and most importantly, I had my first Portuguese friend visiting me here in Berkeley: Ed, of course.  And he brought another friend of ours with him: Inês da Cunha.  After a few years with no (or very little) vacations, Ed decided that my year abroad in California was a good excuse to take a few days off work.  He planned a very exciting trip throughout the state, in which I cannot go since I am stuck in Berkeley working on my thesis.  Inês was going to do that trip in the same period so they decided to do it together, stoping here and there to see some friends.  Knowing them, it is not a surprise that they decided to do the trip in style, driving a convertible mustang.

These three days that they spent in San Francisco, we did some sightseeing in the city; we drove Lombard Street; we saw Pier 39's sea lions; we had some American meals, such as Saturday brunch in the Mission District and dinner at a sports bar on Sunday; we went to a Giants game in AT&T Park; we drove to Sausalito through Golden Gate in a very cloudy day and had a nice lunch there; we listened to really loud music in our convertible car; and more, much more.  Meanwhile, Ed had a meeting in Silicon Valley that might have changed his life and the life of his company.  Way to go Ed!

It was great to spend some time with some friends from back home, especially now that most of my Berkeley friends are gone.  Talking about friends being gone, Saturday night was Nico's goodbye party.  All of our friends who are still around showed up at Ludo's and Alex's apartment in San Francisco to have a drink with him, probably the most friendly guy who lived in ihouse these two semesters.  It was not very tough to say goodbye to him for three reasons.  1) If there's someone who I will be easily able to see, that's my Madrileño friend Nico.  2) There's the possibility of a reunion with Luisa in Madrid in late July this summer, and that would mean all of us staying at his place there.  3) If he was one of my best friends during an entire year, he is not going to disappear from my life very easily.

Last but not least, there's another great thing that happened this weekend.  My model is finally spiting reasonable results.  The hard work of the last weeks has been worthwhile.  I'm quite sad I decided not to go to Yosemite with Ed and Inês but, believe it or not, I only have three weeks left in Berkeley and I need to use them to do as much research as possible.

Thanks Eddie for coming.

See you soon Nico.

Love,
Marta




P.S.  Oh, maybe I should also explain that the reason why this weekend was a three-day weekend is because today is Memorial Day.  That's a national holiday in the US, in which everyone who died in the American army is remembered.  I didn't experience the day very much but, from what I heard, it is considered the beginning of summer, and it is marked by many barbecues all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment